Thursday, October 9, 2014

Full Tilt - Neal Shusterman

Summary from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Blake and his younger brother, Quinn, are exact opposites. Blake is the responsible member of the family. He constantly has to keep an eye on the fearless Quinn, whose thrill-seeking sometimes goes too far. But the stakes get higher when Blake has to chase Quinn into a bizarre phantom carnival that traps its customers forever.

In order to escape, Blake must survive seven deadly rides by dawn, each of which represents a deep, personal fear -- from a carousel of stampeding animals to a hall of mirrors that changes people into their deformed reflections. Blake ultimately has to face up to a horrible secret from his own past to save himself and his brother -- that is, if the carnival doesn't claim their souls first!

Full Tilt was weird, very weird. I definitely did not like this book and I've never read anything by Neal Shusterman so I don't think this particular story was a good one to start with. As with A Midsummer Night's Scream by R.L. Stine, I rate this book in the middle because of the storyline but again for this being a Young Adult/Teen book, it could've been scarier. Just saying. I like the concept of the book but this one also proves again that I just hate male POVs (I really don't know why I keep trying). I also like that this book was actually deep - fight your fears, be brave, etc... And each ride in this creepy carnival showed that. I just didn't like how kiddish the rides were. So yes, lots of issues for me but I was looking up reviews and I mean, a lot of people seem to like the book and this author, so you decide!

Rating: 5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment